This book is intended to help men who are experiencing low androgen levels and the attendant physical and emotional problems that go along with them. It is also intended to introduce to a wider audience the idea of phytoestrogens, that is, plants that contain male hormones. While work on phytoestrogens, plants that contain female hormones, is fairly advanced and widely known, the concept of phytoestrogens is not.
In general, the material in this book is intended for men over 40. Few men under that age need hormone replacement therapy. When men move into their own midlife shift, a shift that is equal in its impacts to the one experienced by women at menopause, the process is often difficult.
The difficulty comes from two sources. The first is our culture’s lack of recognition of and support for this shift in maleness. The second is the scores to hundreds of chemicals that are present in the environment that act as endocrine disruptors, that is, they affect, often significantly, the hormonal balance in the male body.
The use of plants as foods and medicines can often alleviate many of the problems men experience during the midlife shift. Some of these plants contain testosterone, molecularly identical to that produced in our bodies. Many possess other androgens or androgen analogs; some act through specific mechanisms to keep testosterone levels high.
In each section of the book, in order to facilitate easy access to the information the plant, supplement, and food protocols are usually outlined in a box at the beginning of that chapter. You may use any or all of these protocols to enhance your levels of testosterone. As with all protocols intended to alter physical states, you should pay close attention to your own body and determine just which ones work best for you. You, after all, know yourself better than anyone else ever will. You will know if these things work for you, what dosages are best, and how long you need to take them.
What I offer here are guidelines only, the beginning of a dialogue about more natural means to help men through this shift. It is my hope that men will come to explore their own midlife shifting, that wide recognition of the importance and process of that shift occurs, and that each generation of men will eventually be supported in this move into a new kind of maleness.
The information and plants in this book helped me a great deal and it is my hope that they will help you as well.
1. Cover Image
2. Title Page
4. Preface to the 2016 Edition
5. How to Use This Book
6. Chapter 1: The Importance of Natural Hormone Support for Men
7. Chapter 2: Andropause: Hormones and the Male Body
1. THE SEXUAL HORMONES
8. Chapter 3: Environmental Pollutant Impacts on Testosterone
1. THE EFFECTS OF ESTROGEN MIMICS AND ANDROGEN ANTAGONISTS ON MALE
9. Chapter 4: Phytoandrogens: Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men
1. PHYTOANDROGENS AND HEALTH IN MIDDLE-AGED MEN
10. Chapter 5: Supplements to Increase Testosterone Levels
11. Chapter 6: Androgenic Foods
1. THE KIDNEYS
2. THE ADRENAL GLANDS
3. THE KIDNEYS AND ADRENAL GLANDS IN CHINESE MEDICINE
4. ANDROGENIC TONICS FOR THE ADRENAL GLANDS AND KIDNEYS
5. OTHER ANDROGENIC FOODS
12. Chapter 7: Testosterone Antagonists: Things to Avoid
1. ALCOHOL AND MALE HEALTH
2. OTHER THINGS TO AVOID
13. Chapter 8: Enhancing Male Sexuality: Erectile Strength, Sperm
Production and Motility, and Prostate Health
2. ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION
3. BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIA (BPH) AND PROSTATITIS
4. ESTROGEN AND THE PROSTATE
5. NATURAL CARE FOR THE PROSTATE
14. Appendix: Ten-Week, Low-Fat Cleansing Diet
1. THE CLEANSING DIET
2. FOOD LIST
3. MEAL PLANNING
4. CLEANSING BLENDS ONE AND TWO
15. Resources and Sources of Supply
1. SCIENTIFIC AND POPULAR PAPERS
18. Also by Stephen Harrod Buhner
19. About the Author
20. About Inner Traditions • Bear & Company
21. Books of Related Interest
22. Copyright & Permissions